Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Getting Ready For Saturday!

I love baking... and my boyfriend, roommate, and co-workers are probably sick of all of the baking I do; however, I can't seem to stop! My boyfriend suggested I post an ad on Craigslist and I was reluctant to do it ... but he made a great point: If no one reply's, then you're where you are now; but, if they do, then ...

I took his advice and posted an ad on Craigslist (about a month ago) and on the first day I received a serious inquiry. A mother who was in the middle of planning her daughter's sweet 16 inquired about cupcakes and a 6" cake. After a few emails and a telephone conversation, I got to meet the family for a tasting. Let me just say that words don't describe how awesome that was for me. It was certainly a great feeling to know that what you love to do is something that complete strangers will enjoy! The word Delicious was even thrown my way! So, this Saturday I will be responsible for the cake portion of a young lady's Sweet 16. I am trying to do as much prep work as possible so that I'm not rushing through the baking and decorating.

For this event I will be making:


6" Carrot Cake w/ Cream Cheese Icing
35 Cupcakes: Vanilla, Chocolate, & Marble Frosted with Vanilla Buttercream or Chocolate Buttercream.

Her invitations were a graffiti theme and that's what I will match the cake and cupcakes to. SO... Bright colors and GRAFFITI!!! If you know me, and you must if you're reading this, you know Graffiti is not my style! Luckily, in the cake world, there are so many ways to create! So far, I have made all of the frostings and tonight I worked on some fondant shapes that I will use on her cake and on the cupcakes. I have painted her name in a Graffiti style on a sheet of rolled fondant (homemade, if I may add) I am letting all of this dry and harden as much as it can. Once her name is dried I will cut around it so that there is a white border and then I will outline that in more black.

I have also made some brightly colored fondant stars which will top the cupcakes. I will use some of these on the cake itself for some added color. I will certainly post pictures of the finished products this weekend. This is so fun and so exciting! Wish me luck! I am excited about this!!!!

~Yvie

3 comments:

  1. that's soooo freakin cool! Is that like special paint? how much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I painted it with Food Color Gel mixed with a little alcohol (vodka) ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome to see that your BF encouraged you to take that step and advertise! I'm even happier to see that it has yielded results!

    ReplyDelete